[Baypiggies] This seemed appropriate after our discussion of Pythonic and Un-pythonic last month

Mark Voorhies mark.voorhies at ucsf.edu
Wed Jan 11 22:55:04 CET 2012

On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:33:36 pm Simeon Franklin wrote:
> http://python-for-humans.heroku.com/#1
>
> Has anyone else read through this? The basic premise is that much of
> stdlib and supporting tools (installers, packaging, etc) is
> un-pythonic.
>
> The author wrote the Requests package and having used it I am tempted
> to agree with regard to urllib/urllib2. I haven't yet used his
> replacement packate but have experienced pain with subprocess.

> I don't
> think I agree about etree being horrid - did anybody more experienced
> have contrary thoughts?

It depends on what you're using it for.  If you want to parse large xml
files fast and you need to be able to do complex searches (i.e., xpath)
then lxml is _very_ good (and faster/more flexible than etree).

I think that the installation/dependencies discussion at the end is interesting,
but possibly separate from the "pythonic" question.  If you're not doing
cross-platform development and have the choice of working on a system
with good package management (e.g., Debian), then these problems
mostly go away (e.g., for packages that he points to like lxml and python-mysql
as well as really messy things like the scipy/numpy/matplotlib stack).

I don't have any experience with distribute/pip/virtualenv, but my bias
is that packages that need to integrate deeply with non-python parts
of the system (e.g., numerical libraries) are easier to delegate to the
operating system's (rather than the language's) package manager --
but perhaps other people on this list have had a different experience?

--Mark