[Baypiggies] Advice on how to improve my skills while working at a company that doesn't support Python

Daniel Nowak kellankade at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 04:57:54 CEST 2012

Hey J,

It sounds like you are off to a good start. I can suggest a couple of
things. First don't let the people who say its not very pythonic
derail you. Find an open source project you have interest in an try to
go in and fix a bug or two. There are often several simple bugs that a
person learning to go can fix. I know my own code there are always
simple bugs that annoy me but I never get to fixing them because I am
too busy fixing the big bugs.

Second reach out and find a python group near you. Tooting my own horn
a bit here but I teach a beginning python class which is free to the
public. After my beginning class another instructor takes over and we
work on a web project in python. Most of the students in the web class
just got out of or are still in my class. So it's a great friendly
place for people to ask questions.  Even if my class is not the one
for you there are other groups around that are open and welcoming.

I don't know where in the bay you are so email if you need any details
about our class.

Cheers,
Daniel