[Baypiggies] Trivial OOP pattern problem

Shannon -jj Behrens jjinux at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 08:00:18 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Ian Zimmerman <itz at buug.org> wrote:

> Shannon> (Slightly off topic.)  I am a language guy, so I love looking
> Shannon> at other languages for cool features.  You're looking for a way
> Shannon> to chain a bunch of method calls together, a la jQuery.
>
> IIRC it is mentioned in the Stroustrup C++ book, which surely precedes
> jQuery :-P

To be fair, Stroustrup's book is large enough to contain a copy of "War and
Peace", so perhaps it's forgivable that I didn't notice it ;)

According to (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_chaining), the practice
may have started in Smalltalk.

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with
great love. -- Mother Teresa