[Baypiggies] HTML to printable file

Michael Pittaro mikeyp at lahondaresearch.org
Fri Mar 30 16:53:21 CEST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM, Tony Cappellini <cappy2112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have any of you used or written a tool which will convert a web page into a
> file that
> is cleanly paginated and printable?
> I need to print out some documentation which was only written in HTML.
> It's more convenient to have paper docs you can make notes on and use when
> you're away from a wifi connection.

Check out Print Friendly http://www.printfriendly.com/

It's a web service that converts a page / URL to a PDF.   I've had
good luck with it converting doc pages to PDF for kindle reading. It's
not perfect, but did a reasonable job on the bus pirate page
(actually,  it usually does better.)
> I'm hoping I don't need to reinvent the wheel.

You might have to grease it, though.  Print friendly only handles one
page, it doesn't walk the tree of included links.  But it's a web
service, so you can probably call it from urllib without too much

There are no terms of service or API posted on the site, but it looks
like a bay area project if you need to get in touch with them.