[Baypiggies] Talk proposal

Marc Abramowitz msabramo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 09:59:32 CEST 2012

Hi folks,

I just submitted the following abstract as a talk proposal for PyCon US
2013 (talk proposals due today! Get moving if you wanted to do one :-)) --
I have no idea whether it will be accepted, but I wonder if folks would be
interested in me giving the talk at BayPiggies?

---

There are many versions of Python out in the wild now from Python 2.x to
Python 3.x to PyPy. It's surprisingly easy to test a Python package against
multiple versions of Python when you have a few tools. You'll learn how to
use tools like [Tox](http://tox.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html) and
[Travis CI](http://travis-ci.org/) to test Python software against multiple
versions of Python.

* Testing (Super brief intro to why it's good, motherhood and apple pie,
etc.)
* The problem: Multiple Pythons
    * Some differences between Python 2 and Python 3
* Doing it manually with virtualenv
    * How to test manually with virtualenv
    * This is tedious; we can do better...
* Automating testing across Python versions with Tox
    * What does Tox do?
    * Sample tox.ini
    * How to run tox
* Pushing testing out to the cloud with Travis CI
    * What is Travis CI?
    * Sample .travis.yml
    * Setting up the GitHub service hook to trigger Travis
    * Triggering a build
    * Show the Travis Web UI
    * Travis extras
        * Embedding a Travis build status badge in README (or other web
page)
        * Running Travis on pull requests
* Ensuring greater compatibility across Python versions
    * Tips for writing portable code, useful patterns
    * Using 2to3
    * Using distribute's use_2to3 to automatically translate
    * The `six` module
* The Python 3 Wall of Shame
* Now go forth and test and port!