[Baypiggies] Python Standardized Skill Scoring Chart

Jake Alheid shakefu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 20:58:59 CEST 2013

   1. Knows how to install and write "Hello World"
   2. Understands basic data structures: list, dict, tuple, set, etc.
   3. Understands basic classes and when to use them vs. a function/module
   of functions
   4. Understands list/dict/set comprehensions and why they're useful;
   Exception handling and raising; Understands how to use pip/virtualenvs
   5. Knows basic decorator usage and how to write them; how to use/write
   docstrings; understands dynamic lookups (getattr()); how to introspect
   objects in the interpreter with dir(), help(), etc.; how to write/run
   tests; Understands why to use virtualenvs
   6. Understands magic methods (__getattr__, __setattr__), class methods,
   static methods, protected (._foo)  vs. private (.__foo) members; knows how
   to write/use generators; knows basic speedups (when to use .join() vs 'str'
   + 'foo')
   7. Understands how to create and distribute a pacakge with setup.py;
   Understands concurrency in Python and how to implement threading/green
   threads/callbacks; knows how the GIL affects different concurrency models;
   has a strong understanding of when to use different design patterns in
   Python; has a strong organizational understanding of large python projects
   8. Understands Meta classes and how to use/write them; understands that
   everything in Python is a dict; knows order of lookups for variables, class
   members; knows how to monkeypatch models, instances, sys.modules,
   .__dict__, etc., and why not to do it; how to use inspect module; Can
   read/modify C extensions;
   9. Understands Python internals (dir, ast, compile modules, ); Can write
   new C extensions from scratch
   10. Guido; Core contributor

I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm forgetting. So much Python!

--
Jake Alheid
http://about.me/jake