[Baypiggies] Contract Developing: An impromptu Meet after BayPIGgies Meeting Thursday

Steve Piercy - Web Site Builder Web at StevePiercy.com
Tue Aug 20 22:04:14 CEST 2013

I have a meeting before BayPiggies, so I don't know whether I
will be able to make it out tonight, but I have two comments:

(1)  For an Independent Contractor, I strongly recommend Nolo
Press books as a resource.  You can get them from your local
library and often contain DVDs of sample forms and contracts.
These books are my required reading for all ICs.
http://www.nolo.com/products/a-legal-guide-to-web-and-software-development-sft.html
http://www.nolo.com/products/working-as-an-independent-contractor-kindc.html
http://www.nolo.com/products/consultant-and-independent-contractor-agreements-CICA.html

Optional reading.
http://www.nolo.com/products/patent-copyright-and-trademark-pctm.html

(2)  I am working with Rachel of LinkedIn to schedule a
Hackathon on a weekend day instead of a Hack Night on a
weeknight.  It could be September or October.  Details to be
announced soon, I hope.

If you have not yet provided your interest, or would like to
change your interest, you can still do so at the online survey:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13UHiy-0aopany52rMslXmp4X4sdQysfXMBTF3_xCsME/viewform

Here are current results:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13UHiy-0aopany52rMslXmp4X4sdQysfXMBTF3_xCsME/viewanalytics

Note that the first spike is the response to a BayPiggies
announcement, and the second spike is from a PyLadiesSF announcement.

--steve

On 8/20/13 at 11:38 AM, glen at glenjarvis.com (Glen Jarvis) pronounced:

>BayPIGgies is this Thursday. I sent an email a few days ago trying to help
>my customers get other developers (because I've just gotten too busy with a
>new job).
>
>What I found was that a lot of developers were interested. They either
>hadn't don't Django yet or didn't know how to contract. I shouldn't be
>surprised, I've seen this a few times in the past.
>
>So, I've invited my customers to the meeting on Thursday. One is already a
>regular. Both are interested in coding on some level themselves but want
>more experienced developers to help them.
>
>After our meeting is over on Thursday, we'll have a quick impromptu
>meeting. Not only does this help introduce a lot of people to each other,
>it also helps new developers answer some questions. How do you get a Django
>contract? What's involved? Do you need a business license? How do taxes
>work? How much experience do I need already? etc.   We can only answer
>questions on a high level on Thursday, but anyone is involved.
>
>There really is a need for a small course in learning how to develop as a
>contractor. If you're interested in sharing your knowledge, or learning,
>feel free to pop by for our impromptu meeting after the BayPIGgies talk.
>
>Cheers,
>

>Glen

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA
<web at StevePiercy.com>                  <http://www.StevePiercy.com/>