[Baypiggies] Baypiggies Meeting Tonight @LInkedIn - Learning Math and Science Using Python

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Dec 31 19:16:01 CET 2013

I just want to throw this out there:

James has been doing an *incredible* job being our videographer. In fact,
he has some very exciting ideas that would improve the process greatly (and
they seem very realistic/plausible).

KUDOS, James!

Cheers,

Glen

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM, James Nicholson <nicholsonjf at gmail.com>wrote:

> The video from Peter's talk is now up on our YouTube channel, and can be
> found here:
>
> http://youtu.be/HfvQ6O7Di0g
>
> -James
>

> On Thursday, December 19, 2013, John Wegis wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Our presentation tonight will be "Learning Math and Science Using Python"
>> by Peter Farrell.
>>
>> *Location:*
>>

>> *LinkedIn Corporation2061 Stierlin Ct (aka Bldg 6)Room - Neon
>> CarrotMountain View, CA 94043*
>>
>> *Abstract:*
>>
>> In 1980 Seymour Papert’s *Mindstorms* suggested that everything
>> meaningful in math education could be done using a computer. Mathematics
>> teaching has yet to take full advantage of modern technology.
>>
>> Python should be in the toolbox of every student right from the beginning
>> of algebra, not only because it makes arithmetic trivial but because it can
>> facilitate deeper exploration of topics ranging from algebra to calculus.
>>
>> In this presentation we’ll see how Python can be used to clarify
>> difficult topics high school students are faced with in math and science.
>>
>> Unlike outdated skills like factoring polynomials, working with functions
>> is more valuable than ever thanks to computers and Python in particular
>> because (forgive my oversimplification) in Python “everything is a
>> function.”
>>
>> High school math and physics courses also demand a knowledge of vectors,
>> so more teachers should take advantage of the 3-D possibilities of Visual
>> Python to model situations using vectors. It will be shown how physical
>> situations otherwise involving disheartening differential equations can be
>> modeled and easily solved in VPython. Furthermore, conjectures which
>> were previously difficult to prove in physics can be easily created and
>> visually proven by high school students with a little Python.
>> *Speaker: *
>> Peter Farrell has been a high school math teacher and tutor on the East
>> Coast and the West Coast and even on the Equator. He’s currently a STEM
>> Instructor at four Summit Charter High Schools in the Bay Area through
>> Learningtech.org
>>

>> *If you wish to post jobs here, please go to : Job Listings
>> <http://baypiggies.net/job-listings/job-listings> *
>>
>> *Meeting Schedule*
>> The meeting begins @ 7:30PM.
>> The main presentation will start @ 7:40 PM, after the usual announcements.

We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action
always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.

-- Frank Tibolt