[Baypiggies] PyCon 2013 has some great beginner events. Tickets selling quickly!

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Mon Feb 4 16:57:01 CET 2013

Hi all,

As PyCon is down to its last 400 tickets, I wanted to highlight
several new and great parts about the conference that may interest you
or someone you know. We think PyCon is a great value for our attendees
and we’ve added some tutorials and events to get people started in the
Python world.

New for 2013 is a two-day event happening March 13th and 14th titled
“The Young Coder: Let’s Learn Python,” taught by Katie Cunningham and
Barbara Shaurette. This *free* tutorial teaches kids 12 and over the
basics of Python and ends with the creation of a game. The kids don’t
need to bring anything, as the tutorial will be happening in a lab
furnished with Raspberry Pis, and each attendee gets to take home a
free book to keep on learning. See
https://us.pycon.org/2013/events/letslearnpython/ for more details and
reserve your space before it fills up!

We also have two great beginner tutorials on the schedule: Jessica
McKellar’s “A hands-on introduction to Python for beginning
programmers”, and Dave Beazley’s “Learn Python Through Public Data
Hacking.” They’re both great teachers and want to bring attendees to
the world of programming via Python. More info about Jessica’s
tutorial is at https://us.pycon.org/2013/schedule/presentation/1/.
Dave’s tutorial is happening right after Jessica’s, with details at
https://us.pycon.org/2013/schedule/presentation/2/.

We’ve also added a set of free workshops hosted by several of our
sponsors, available at
https://us.pycon.org/2013/schedule/sponsor-tutorials/. These 90 minute
sessions give you an intimate setting to hear about the latest goings
on with some of the coolest companies in the Python world.

You don’t need to register for the conference to attend our tutorials,
so they’re great for locals to get some exposure to Python. Jessica
and Dave’s tutorials are $150 each, and the kids tutorial as well as
the sponsor tutorials are free!

If you’re interested in attending the conference, don’t hesitate as
tickets are going quickly. Check out the full schedule of events at
https://us.pycon.org/2013/schedule/ and head to
https://us.pycon.org/2013/registration/ and get signed up today!

See you in March!

Jesse Noller, Chairman