[Baypiggies] Volunteer for new talk (if there is interest): Vagrant

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Jan 27 20:42:00 CET 2013

Although I said in the last meeting that I may discuss RabbitMQ, I think
that's too early for me (even with the 4 months lag time). However, we seem
to have a theme right now and I am learning something that fits right in
that theme.

December: Virtualization (and how to start AWS instances just from Python
Code)
January: Fabric (How do you manage all of those virtual machines that you
just started)
February: (already booked up) (Possibly a talk on salt if the original
designated author doesn't mind moving his time slot and salt author can be
arranged)
March: (already booked up)
April: <== I can take this one

Tony,
    If you have no takers (and we get enough +1s to merit the talk), I can
shoot for April (or another slot if you have other takers for April).

All,
    Vagrant is a tool that is *NOT* written in Python (It's written in
Ruby). It's nothing but a way of making VirtualBox (and instances created
within VirtualBox) controllable by the command line. (VirtualBox also not
written in Python).

    However, this gives us leverage to use Python tools on virtual machines
locally.What this gives you is a way of testing virtual machines without
having to use Amazon's AWS (and without paying the money). You can do this
to, for example, spin up a new machine of a completely different operating
system and, for example, test your Fabric script that pushes data to this
machine. Or, similarly, you could test your Salt installations.

    Typically, this is done as a precursor to test/iterate in the earlier
phases of the development cycle before it's necessary to spin up machines
on, for example Amazon or Rackspace.

     So, although these tools themselves are not written in Python, we
aren't configuring/modifying the tools -- we're simply using them as a
black box so we can use Python tools to manipulate, deploy, etc.

Any interest?

"Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life as a dog does his
master's chase. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it,
unearth it, and gnaw it still."

--Henry David Thoreau