[Baypiggies] Let me kick off the discussions

Simeon Franklin simeonf at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 21:51:48 CEST 2013

Caveat: I have very limited experience so far. But... I like it. I'm
may still find show stopping bugs, but I like it.

I'm writing apps with an eye towards instructing beginners in writing
GUI apps with Python and Kivy fits well into this space - definitely
more user/beginner friendly than Tk! Some bits are downright elegant
like the idea of "properties" (basically a family of pre-built
descriptors which means they can be initted at class definition time
plus some type checking plus the observer pattern so they fire events
when they receive values. Very nice!) I also like the (optional) kv
language for defining layouts - does anybody know if there's a good
gui-builder that spits out kv? That would probably be a good gui app
to work on, come to think of it...

There are some clunky bits - the docs aren't awesome or comprehensive
as the framework seems to be developing at a good clip. Running an app
on a desktop from the .py files is easy, packaging it up is difficult
(building an .apk is a pain). But I'm finding the easy stuff easy and
everything else possible. +1 on Kivy.

-regards
Simeon Franklin