[Baypiggies] Looking to Hire Contract Faculty & Mentors At Rocket Space|RocketU Developer Bootcamp; HTML/CSS/JavaScript, Python, Django

Larry Cuba cuba at well.com
Sat Sep 21 01:35:51 CEST 2013

At 04:17 PM 9/20/2013, Rick Kwan wrote:
>"unfair advantage" is general business or marketing speak for raising
>the bar against the competition so high so that it is almost not worth
>their effort to compete against you.  If you "google" or "bing" it,
>you'll find there is even a book by that name, and the term is in very
>widespread use.

so the distinction between 'unfair' and 'fair' really isn't being made any more.
wow.
thanks for the update.

>Someone could certainly use bad ethics to create an "unfair
>advantage", but I would think it has more to do with:
>* smartly and efficiently executing your business.
>* employing tools and knowledge that the competition is ignoring or
>too lazy to master.

sorry.
don't see what's "unfair" about that.
being smarter and more clever than the competition is not unfair.

>Some people might say that Python has an unfair advantage against
>Perl.  Python was designed with hindsight of how scripting and
>object-oriented design work; much of the sweat in pioneering this area
>was done by Perl programmers, and yet Python reaps the rewards.

whether true or not, it sounds like a fair advantage to me.

>However, if you want to talk about amassing patents to slaughter your
>competition by making legal defense impractical, that's a different
>discussion... which I won't start.

where to draw the line between ethical and unethical business
practices should be discussed somewhere, if not here.
(and i'm sure it is).
Blurring the distinction between the words "fair" and "unfair"
is counterproductive to making that line visible.

>Disclaimer:  I am lowly coder.  I have no successful track record in
>business or law.  So apply as much salt as you want to my comments.
>[Then again, perhaps I don't have those successes because I don't know
>how to take unfair advantage of the competition.]

don't "know how" or just won't because you know it's wrong?

Larry C.

> [...]
>>

>> What's an "unfair" advantage?
>> Sounds like something unethical or illegal.
>> THAT's your selling point?!
>> who do you attract with that?
>> have you ever heard of "ill-gotten gains"?
>>
>> There's nothing unfair about knowing and using Python.
>> It's available to all equally.
>>
>> Please excuse me for nit picking over a trivial thing like scruples.
>>
>> ---larry cuba
>>

>> At 11:49 AM 9/20/2013, you wrote:
>>
>> We are actively looking for great Python teachers, mentors and TA's to help
>> us deliver training to aspiring Python developers.
>>
>> Role: Contract Faculty At Rocket Space|RocketU Developer Bootcamp;
>> HTML/CSS/JavaScript, Python, Django
>>
>> About RocketSpace | RocketU
>>
>> RocketSpace is an open innovation campus located in the heart of San
>> Francisco. Our members are disruptive, fast-growing technology companies who
>> want to gain an unfair advantage in the market.
>>
>> RocketU helps top-performing entrepreneurs and tech professionals learn the
>> cutting-edge coding languages and techniques that are necessary for today’s
>> modern applications. We’re more than just another dev bootcamp; we deliver
>> our courses with your whole tech career in mind. RocketU is embedded on the
>> RocketSpace campus, giving you access to some of the hottest tech startups
>> on the planet.
>>
>> Job Description
>> We are looking for a team of dynamic, talented and enthusiastic technical
>> faculty, mentors and TA’s to train students who are highly motivated to
>> transition into the tech industry. Each Developer Bootcamp lasts 10 weeks
>> and start every quarter. During the bootcamp, the faculty and mentor team
>> will eat and breathe with the students Monday thru Friday, 8AM - 6PM.
>> The RocketU logo, Develop Yourself, is targeted at both faculty as well as
>> aspiring developers because we fundamentally believe that when you teach,
>> you learn. If you love technology and learning and would benefit from
>> rewarding interaction with aspiring developers and the broader RocketSpace
>> accelerator community, we want to hear from you!
>>
>> Major job responsibilities include:
>>
>> Leading lectures and labs on all technical aspects in the bootcamp
>> Guiding students on their individual product design, development, debug and
>> deployment
>> Preparing students for job interviews and product demo
>> Assessing quality of work and providing constructive feedback
>> Conducting technical Interviews of prospective RocketU bootcamp applicants
>> Technical Requirements
>> The ideal candidate(s) will have:
>>
>> Expertise in working with front end technology such as HTML, CSS,
>> Javascript, and JQuery
>> Proficiency with Python and/or Ruby and experience with frameworks such as
>> Django and Rails
>> Hands-on experience with Web application architecture and database design
>> Exposure to “what’s hot” in technology like NodeJS, Backbone, Angular, less,
 (the list is way too long)