[Baypiggies] request for opinions re python-web server-database

Grant Jenks grant.jenks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 00:11:43 CEST 2014

I too built something similar for a non-profit. It was a food-pantry-type
database system.

Stack was:

* cherrypy - Good-enough webserver for a localhost deploy. Really easy to
use and configure.
* django - Web framework with built-in ORM. I was already familiar with
this so it was an easy choice. I don't think the benefits of Flask outweigh
its use if you're also going to also need SQLAlchemy. You also benefit
automatically from Django's admin interface.
* sqlite - Rock-solid, built-in to Python and easy compatibility with
Django.
* py2exe - Great for deployment if it's going to a Windows machine. I made
it so that I deployed simply an exe that the end-user double-clicked. This
would spawn a Chrome browser in kiosk mode and the webserver backend.

I open sourced my implementation here:
https://github.com/grantjenks/emmaus_house_food_pantry

Hope that helps,
Grant