[Baypiggies] request for opinions re python-web server-database

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Apr 17 16:59:02 CEST 2014

Jim,
   This sounds like a perfect recipe / requirement for the micro frameworks: bottle, flask, etc. I think bottle is a single python file (or used to be).

    Your database needs sounds perfect for SQLite.

    All of this would fit on a raspberry pi.

   I don't think your requirements even need a web server if you keep your microframework running like a daemon. But, if you wanted one, nginx is super efficient and fast (but not all the huge features if apache).

   Each of these tools have limitations. But, from an outside point if view with limited knowledge of requirements, they may work just fine for your project. You can always grow it over time -- replace bottle with Django, replace SQLite with Postgres, use nginx front-end, etc. I'd start with these simple tools and see if they are what you need -- they're great places to start even if you don't actually use them.

Cheers,

Glen