[Baypiggies] Python 3 and the GUI - opinions wanted

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Apr 24 01:38:56 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014, Dirk Bergstrom wrote:
> On 04/22/2014 10:12 AM, Martin Falatic wrote:
>>
>>When it comes to creating a modern GUI-based, cross-platform application
>>in Linux/Mac and Windows using Python (and taking Python 3 into
>>consideration, with Python 2.7 as a backport path) what's is the best
>>direction to go in? Tkinter, PySide (Qt), others?
>
> Consider using the browser as your UI toolkit.  Build a "web app" that
> listens on localhost, and you get access to a huge variety of UI tools and
> libraries, an enormous developer community and great debugging tools.  It
> also greatly reduces the number of dependencies you need to install, since
> every user already has a browser, whereas basically nobody has your
> particular version of Qt/Tk/GTK pre-installed.

OTOH, you are then not developing in Python anymore.  ;-)  That's what we
did in my last job; it has lots to recommend it as an approach, but it
really doesn't feel much like running a native application.  In our
case, it was reasonable because the user was intended to have minimal
interaction with the GUI (set it up and leave a background process
running).

indirection."  --Butler Lampson