[Baypiggies] Request for info about your group for the LUG booth at SCALE

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Jan 19 04:32:59 CET 2014

>     I'm hoping someone in your group can send me information
> that I can use at SCALE (Southern California Linux Expo)
> on the weekend of February 21, 22, 23.
>     I plan on making an info sheet (or map) for all
> northern California LUGs.

Jim,
   I'll jump in. Others can correct me where I'm wrong.

> * Where do you hold your meetings (address, any other
> info about access)?

We have had different hosts during the years However, currently, LinkedIn
has been giving us space. The details are:

2061 Stierlin Ct, Mountain View, CA

> * When do you hold your meetings (probably a particular
> day of the month, e.g. third Tuesday), include day
> and also time?

Except for November and December (due to the holidays), we hold our
meetings the fourth Thursday at every month starting at 7:30 pm.  There
will be a meeting the Thursday after you give this to SCALE.

> * What's the format of your meetings (regular speaker
> or meet and greet or support for users or all of
> the above or ...)?

7:30 - 7:35 We begin with an introduction/warm up for five minutes as
people filter into the space
7:35 - 8:45 We have a guest speaker for the evening (the end time of the
speaker often fluctuates and we adjust accordingly)
8:45 - 8:50 Announcements (Who's looking for work?; Who's looking to hire?;
Who has a question?; Who has an answer?)
8:50 - 9:00 Random access (socializing/Q&A, etc.)

* Do your group have a web site? If so, please
> provide the URL.

We do:

http://baypiggies.net/

* Are you interested in getting speakers for your
> meetings?

Although we have speakers arranged up until June, who isn't interested in a
pool of speakers to choose from?!?  We'll always take your introductions :).

    If you know of any LUGs not on the list below,
> please send me contact info.

BayPIGgies is a Python Interest Group (Bay Area Python Interest Group), and
not really a LUG -- although there is a great deal of overlap. Our only
request is that it is actually Python related.

    If you are going to SCALE, there definitely
> will be a LUG booth and it will definitely need
> people to staff it and anyone staffing the booth
> (put in a couple of hours at least one day) can
> get an exhibitor's pass. Let me know, please, so
> I can add your name and coordinate hours.
>

> List of LUGs and related groups
>
> BAD Bay Area Debian (SF and east bay -- I'm not subscribed to this mail
> list)
> Felton Linux Group (I'm not subscribed to this mail list)
> EBLUG (I'm not subscribed to this mail list)
>
> BALUG (SF),
> BerkeleyLUG,
> BUUG (berkeley)
> Conspire-LinuxMafia (peninsula),
> DVLUG (Walnut Creek-Concord),
> LinuxChix,
> LUGOD (Davis),
> NBLUG (Sebastapol),
> OpenHatch,
> OLPC-SF (One Laptop Per Child SF),
> SF-LUG,
> SVLUG (peninsula),
>
> bayPIGgies,
> py4science
> (any other language-related groups that pertain to Linux?)

How did I do?  Are there corrections to be made guys and gals?

We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action
always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action.

-- Frank Tibolt