[Baypiggies] Suggestions on Python training for first programming language?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Mon Mar 31 21:11:41 CEST 2014

On Sun, Mar 30, 2014, seth f wrote:

> I have a good friend of 20+ years that seems curious about getting more
> technical.   She's whip-smart, super creative, and frustrated with her
> current gig, which I gather is like somewhere in between editor of content
> and QA.
>
> Question to the group, I ask on her behalf: can anyone recommend any
> particular python classes?  Or is anyone doing tutoring kind of stuff?   jj?

The first question is, what's her learning style?  Some people don't
particularly like getting into a community as part of the learning
process.  Other people might prefer an online community.  Does she learn
better from vision or hearing?

For one of my partners, I advocated _Learn Python the Hard Way_, which
basically teaches by making you type lots of correct code, but that's not
what I'd recommend to most people.

One thing I would note is that while programming offers some outlet for
creativity, it's not particularly what I'd call an activity that offers
lots of creativity; I'd say more that programming is a good activity for
people who like solving problems.

"usenet imitates usenet"  --Darkhawk