[Baypiggies] Job opening for experienced Python/Django developer - come to help save water and improve agriculture at PowWow Energy

Stan Knutson stan at powwowenergy.com
Wed Jul 29 02:12:03 CEST 2015

We are looking for an experienced and passionate developer committed to making a difference in the world by helping farmers reduce their water usage by up to 20%.  We are a leading AgTech startup and winner of the National Cleantech Open in 2013. We just closed our funding, including getting a state grant. Full job description is below.

If you have at least 5 years' experience, please send you resume to jobs at powwowenergy.com.

Stan Knutson
VP Software Development
PowWow Energy
Redwood City, CA

The full description:

We are looking for a talented full stack developer to join an award winning start-up. You'd be joining an experienced entrepreneurial team in creating software that delivers answers to farmers in the field to assist them in their daily operation, and as a by-product save significant water and energy.
You should be a team player with demonstrated ability to build applications. As a member of the software development team, you must be self-starting with the ability to help figure out what we need to do, then do it with a positive attitude. Our current software stack is JQuery and Google Maps on the client side, with Python / Django on the server side, using PostGIS as the database.

Required skills:
*	Python and Linux (Ubuntu) experience
*	Relational database and SQL experience, ideally with Postgres
*	Minimum 7 years working professionally as developer, preferably with a SaaS product
*	Significant Javascript/CSS3/HTML5 experience, preferably with JQuery and Bootstrap
*	B.S. in software engineering or computer science

Highly desired skills:
*	Experience scaling an application to large data sets
*	Experience with GIS implementations systems like PostGIS
*	Operational experience with AWS
*	Experience working with Google Maps API or similar mapping tools
*	M.S. in computer science or experience as software lead in a VC-backed start-up

What's in it for you?
*	Join an award winning start-up at an early-stage
*	Have an impact on agriculture and water sector
*	Becoming part of an experienced entrepreneurial team
*	Room for growth and ability to help define the culture of the company

PRODUCT

PowWow Energy (www.powwowenergy.com) is a SaaS company that leverages its Big Data platform to help growers in their daily operations, and save water and energy. Unlike existing solutions that use expensive hardware devices or require tedious work from consultants, our cloud-based machine learning platform provides simple answers to farmers with no up-front capital costs. We provide an integrated water and crop management solution for up to $50 per acre.
Our suite of applications includes the Pump Monitor(tm), which provides automated water records by leveraging existing smart meters from power utilities. It protects farmers from the operational downsides of anomalies such as leaks or falling water tables. The Irrigation Advisor(tm) simplifies irrigation scheduling solution by integrating data from the cloud (weather data and aerial images) and from local farm records (nutrient application and on-site sensors). Growers receive simple text messages in the field, not more data at the office.

WHY US?

Our team of experienced entrepreneurs won the 2013 Clean Tech Open over 400 other startups, and closed first revenue in less than a year with Central Valley farmers. If you like working hard on a big problem and love food... don't look further! You are home. We are developing a Machine Learning platform that combines energy data, sensor data, and aerial imagery to deliver answers to farmers so they can improve yield and save water.

A typical month will take you from Silicon Valley (software development in collaborative team) to a field in Central Valley or on the coast (our growers are awesome and have a big impact on their community). We are working on one of the big problems that the world faces today: produce food for 9 billion people with less water by 2050. It is a daunting task that will take the expertise of agriculture ("Ag"), and the best of technology (Tech). Hence AgTech. It is the fastest growing segment in venture funding, and we are on a mission because our customers depend on us.