[Baypiggies] String Attribute

Simeon Franklin simeonf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 18:21:43 CEST 2015

Hey Hal -

I think Bill is just suggesting that the mailing list doesn't make a very
good tutor - at the best you have to wait for emails every time you make a
syntax error (and there are always lots of those in the beginning).

I spend a lot of effort trying to make sure that the Python community I'm
involved with is welcoming to beginners so I'm not at all going to tell you
to go away. I would encourage you to email me your syntax errors directly
instead of going to the whole list - it's a low traffic list and most
subscribers probably don't want a bunch of emails all of which are
essentially just helping you debug your program.

I'd also encourage you to come out to the "Project Night" SF Python Meetup
hosts on the 3rd Wednesday of each month. We have many mentors happy to
answer your questions in person and you'll make progress fast that way. We
don't have the next event posted yet but keep an eye open for a Project
Night announcement on http://sfpythonmeetup.com.

Finally when I recommend doing "Learn Python the Hard Way" or Bill
recommends http://www.learnppython.org it isn't because we're trying to get
rid of you or expect you to be a self-taught genius. Those are resources
talented people have put a lot of effort into to make it as *easy as
possible* for you to learn to program in Python. It does seem like more fun
to strike out on your own and try to solve problems - and it is more fun if
you can actually make progress. I bet you'd have more fun and make faster
progress if you spent some time in one of these excellent online tutorials.

- best
Simeon