[Baypiggies] Companies moving to Python 3?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 9 20:28:23 CEST 2015

Hi,

Are people seeing that any companies in the Bay Area are moving
to Python 3 in a major way?

Recently, I have been porting some code from Python 2 to Python 3.
>From a language purist perspective, I see that Python 3 is technically a
better
language.  Some of the new keywords in Python 3.5 like async/await look
pretty
cool for making it easier to do asyncio programming.

However, from an end-user's perspective, the differences between Python 2
and Python 3 are annoying.   Although certain features, like asyncio are
interesting, for most major use cases, there doesn't seem to be any "killer
feature"
or performance boost to justify the effort of going to Python 3.
While many major packages have been ported to Python 3, there are still
quite a few major packages which are still stuck on Python 2.

Despite these problems, I still like Python 3, and want to focus on writing
new
code which works with it.  I was just curious if people are seeing the
move to Python 3 in production.

--
Craig