[Baypiggies] Companies moving to Python 3?

Justin Carroll jrc.csus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:12:33 CEST 2015

Hi Craig,

If you haven't already watched (or attended), have a look at Guido's 2015
PyCon Keynot RE: making the switch to Python3 (it's the first 20 min or so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-uKNd5TSBw&feature=youtu.be

I'd summarize his message as "all hands on deck - we've waited long enough
for people to make the switch to python3 - it's time to make the jump".

I work in the medical/embedded space, and everything moves at a snails pace
where I am at.  We are still on Python 2.6.  But there are a few members of
my group, myself included, that are seriously considering making strong
efforts to make the move to Python 3.  Python 2.6/2.7+ has served us well,
and has kept food on my table, and there are many reasons NOT to make the
change to Python3, but none of those reasons are good enough to prevent
evolution of the language (and I don't want to be left behind!).

I know Guido watches this list (yO Guido) and if we're lucky he'll provide
additional insights beyond his keynote.

On a side note, I have side projects that I have started in Python3 (as
have my coworkers) so they can learn/familiarize themselves with the latest
changes.

-j

---
Justin Carroll
Software Engineer (Embedded Systems and Advanced Data Analytics/BigData)
Full Stack Developer (Python | HTML5; Twisted | Dojo)
(650) 776-6613
www.jrcresearch.net