[Baypiggies] Companies moving to Python 3?

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 9 22:01:33 CEST 2015

On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Justin Carroll <jrc.csus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I work in the medical/embedded space, and everything moves at a snails
> pace where I am at.  We are still on Python 2.6.  But there are a few
> members of my group, myself included, that are seriously considering making
> strong efforts to make the move to Python 3.

Justin,

Thanks for the response and feedback.  It is useful to
get the perspectives from real users such as yourself.
Your e-mail jives with my experience, in that Python 3 is technically
a better language, but for existing projects, it is sometimes hard
to justify the effort to upgrade.

In one of my projects, I made heavy use of Fabric ( http://fabfile.org )
for remote execution via SSH.  Fabric is stuck on Python 2.5-2.7
and the author of Fabric is not accepting patches to add Python 3 support,
because he is working on a rewrite.

I took an initial whack at porting Fabric to python 3, by using
2to3 and reading various blogs.  As I  fixed problems one by one,
I read up on the various PEP's to see what things changed in Python.
It was a very interesting learning exercise:

https://github.com/rodrigc/fabric/commits/python3

In the middle of my learning exercise, I found that Mathias Ertl actually
has a more functional working port of Fabric to Python 3:

https://github.com/fabric/fabric/issues/1378

so I abandoned my effort and am now using his port.

So based on my learning exercise, I just wanted to get a feel
for the rate of adoption of Python 3 in companies in the Bay Area. :)
--
Craig