[Baypiggies] Give a Lightning Talk / Exceptions / Errors / SQLite / Oh My!!

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Apr 27 03:43:39 EDT 2016

On Thursday we are having our own little mini PyCon - a sneak preview of
what is about to come.

We need more lightning talks. Don't know what a Python Lightning talk is?
It's an awesome talk about Python in 5 minutes or less. Here's a great
intro and sample talks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX8VYXfVcrg

If you want to give a lightning talk, please email Glen Jarvis <
glen at glenjarvis.com> and Jeff Fischer <jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com>.

If you want to join us, please RSVP here so that we can plan food and
chairs:

http://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/228208945/

Schedule

7:30 doors open / Socializing
7:45 - 8:30  Exception and error handling in Python 2 and Python 3, Alex
Martelli
8:30 - 8:45 Lightning Talks / Break
8:45 - 9:15 SQLite: Gotchas and Gimmes, Dave Sawyer
9:15 - 9:30 Random Access

Alex Martelli

Exception and error handling in Python 2 and Python 3

Handling errors and exceptions optimally is crucial in solid Python
programs. Some technical details have changed in Python 3, and the talk
covers those, but the core of "best practices" is quite enduring, and the
talk focuses on presenting and explaining them.

https://us.pycon.org/2016/schedule/presentation/2093/

Dave Sawyer

SQLite: Gotchas and Gimmes

Python's sqlite module provides access to the most deployed database engine
in the world. We'll go beyond the docs to discover how to unlock the full
power of SQLite without additional libraries. We'll identify deadly
pitfalls and produce clean Pythonic code. Find out why the creators say to
think of SQLite not as a replacement for Oracle, but as a replacement for
open().

https://us.pycon.org/2016/schedule/presentation/1858/