[Baypiggies] Big changes to the BayPIGgies Meetups

Martin Falatic martin at falatic.com
Wed Jan 13 12:11:40 EST 2016

First, and wholeheartedly, a big thank you to Glen, Peggy, David and the
others for their fine work keeping things running - I had no idea how much
things had changed at the end of last year and I don't blame any of them
for the present circumstances.

I have the email from this list about a year and a half ago where Glen
mentioned cross-promoting BayPIGgies meetups. It's clear that after that
the SV Python meetups basically stopped in favor the ones through
BayPIGgies (which all worked quite well as the two meetup groups were
basically synonymous at that point).

This recent change happened under the radar, and I'm surprised nobody has
questioned it til now - that worries me as it may mean reputational damage
has already been done. I haven't seen much traffic in regard to this other
than the change of organizer (at the start of the holidays) and the sudden
annual fee requirement (either $20/year or $5/month depending on which
email you read). I just figured that was a hiccup in a routine transition
but clearly it's much more, between that, the new backronym, and the fee
tacked on to each meetup (starting with the next one). It's not *about*
the fees, it's about the fact that someone is fleecing the (remaining)
members of the meetup group for fees small and large while tarnishing the
BayPIGgies name in the process.

 - Marty