[Baypiggies] Message sent to Suresh (baypiggies meetup)

Don Sheu dinaldo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 19:05:38 EST 2016

I've emailed Ewa Jodlowska Python's permanent professional for guidance.

The domain baypiggies.net was transferred to the PSF in December 2015.
Seems like PSF is an avenue for protecting the trademark.

Van Lindberg PSF board chair is a professionally the Associate General
Counsel for Rackspace and specializes in IP law.

Waiting on a response from Ewa. I'll update any news on the front of the
PSF.
ᐧ

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Stephen <spmcinerney at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Glen & Bill for stepping in:
>
> -1 on re-registering BayPIGgies as a different Meetup.
> We have a strong chance to compel Suresh to hand back the existing Meetup.
> Let us try that, as follows:
>
>  - that Meetup contains 3+ years of our (BayPIGgies) event history,
> comments, links
>  - this is different to the usual case of a Meetup "hostile takeover",
> where Meetup TOS offers
>    basically zero protection
>  - this case is different because "BayPIGgies" already had a separate
> legal existence back to
>   1999, which long predated the Meetup. Apparently the term qualifies as
> an unregistered
>   "common-law" trademark. [IANAL].
>  - Suresh's name-change to "BayPRIGgies" looks fairly clearly like a case
> of typosquatting,
>    isn't good-faith use, and allowing that name to persist would continue
> the confusion.
>  - when we regain the Meetup, I believe we can also compel Suresh to
> refund the dues he charged
>  - IANAL, none of us is a lawyer, but Bill Deegan mentioned one of the PSF
> is, and may be available.
>  - we should probably also register "BayPIGgies" as a trademark. This
> costs ~$300-500 and lasts 10 years.
>    It should guarantee that this situation can't recur.
>
> So, my recommendation:
> i) quickly get lawyer to confirm the legal validity of "BayPIGgies" as an
> unregistered trademark since 1999
> ii) get lawyer to send both Suresh and Meetup a letter asserting our
> rights and asking them to
>  hand back the Meetup to us (also refund any dues gathered by using the
> name)
> iii) only in the event all that fails, then move to a new domain name as
> Glen suggested
> iv) either way, register "BayPIGgies" as a trademark
>
> Any +1 or -1 on this? I think regaining control of the Meetup quickly is
> preferable and achievable.
>
> Stephen
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 09:42:37 -0800
> From: glen at glenjarvis.com
> To: berndca at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Message sent to Suresh (baypiggies meetup)
> CC: baypiggies at python.org
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:25 AM, Bernd <berndca at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Suresh has changed the name of his meetup to BayPRIGgies which has the new
> url:
>
> http://www.meetup.com/BayPRIGgies/
>
> and added the following to the top of the groups home page:
>
> Disclaimer:
>
> We have nothing to do with the previous decades' organizations bearing the
> name BayPIGgies and the associated website or email.
>

> This should allow us to recover our groups url and past meetups with the
> help of meetup tech support.
> We would have to create a new meetup group for BayPIGgies.
>
> I understand that this is certainly not an ideal route. However I this
> [...]

Don Sheu
312.880.9389

My Python user group in February meets at Dropbox
*http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/ <http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: *The information contained in this message may be
protected trade secrets or protected by applicable intellectual property
laws of the United States and International agreements. If you believe that
it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply
to the sender that you have received the message in error. Then delete it.
Thank you.*