[Baypiggies] Suresh, I want to help you build your MeetUp community

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Jan 19 16:23:57 EST 2016

(Please forward to Suresh or give me his email address so that I can send
to him directly)

Suresh,

I want to thank you for your interest in continuing to build a Python
community. One of the great things about open source is that, if we want to
put our own spin on something, we can. We can fork a project, and use it as
we wish. In many ways our communities have forked. I want to help you build
your fork of the Python community. I want to help you increase traffic to
your MeetUp. I want you to be successful in building a MeetUp with a large
community.

The MeetUp.com support team has given the Bay Area Python Interest Group (
http://meetup.com/BAyPIGies) link back to the Python community where
governance and communication happens on this Python.org mailing list (
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies). It is a great
community where I have, many times, seen a newbie ask a question and heard
it answered directly by Guido van Rossum, the creator of the Python
Programming Language.

However, I want to respect and help you with your effort to create a new
MeetUp. I built a new MeetUp for you. I will transition it to you as
organizer. I also will help you get the word out so that interested parties
can sign up for your MeetUp.

I did not know what name to call the group. I copied as much of the MeetUp
summary and description to the new MeetUp as I could. I tried to copy the
"Advanced Python Experts (APE)" over to the new MeetUp. I wasn't sure the
name of the MeetUp, so I used the words that you were using in the
description of "Python Code Monkeys". However, you can change the name to
whatever name you want. And, the link will still redirect for you:

http://www.meetup.com/Python-Code-Monkeys/

I will also use whatever link that you give me to help promote your MeetUp
(if changed from above). I may not be allowed to do this via the BayPIGgies
group. But, I can do it by sending emails from other groups like the
Silicon Valley Python MeetUp group. And, we can ask more members of the
community to help support you and bring you interested APEs.

When I see you sign-up for the Python Code Monkeys site (
http://www.meetup.com/Python-Code-Monkeys/), I will transfer ownership over
to you.

Our community respects that we can take something that we like, and fork it
and change it. That's what we can do today. I wish you the best of luck and
will try, at least for a few months when I can, to help build traffic to
your new MeetUp.

Kindest Regards,

Glen Jarvis

Current Organizer