[Baypiggies] Proposal: Sublist for meeting organizing

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Thu Jan 21 11:10:58 EST 2016

My vote is +1

But only if transparent (I.e. public and archived just like
baypiggies at python.org ). In fact, another @python.org list with the same
settings would be preferred.

This gives us a less cluttered place to discuss minutia (for example, who
is doing the hangout recordings on 28-Jan, who is greeting and escorting
the pythonistas to the meeting room in March, who is introducing the
speaker in April, etc.)

I have found its also less intimidating to neophytes who want to help. Many
think they need to be a hard-core programmer to assist which isn't at all
true. When the room is smaller and they know who is in the room, they feel
more likely to participate.

And, since its publicly archived -- all the juicy gossip is there for
everyone to see :)

Cheers,

Glen

On Jan 20, 2016 9:07 PM, "James Nicholson" <nicholsonjf at gmail.com> wrote:

> -1 because I like reading the gossip
>

> On Wednesday, January 20, 2016, Hasan Diwan <hasan.diwan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> -1 Keep it one place -- H
>>
>> On 20 January 2016 at 20:26, Jeff Fischer <jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> Hi everyone,
>>> As you know, Glen Jarvis has taken the initiative to reconstitute the
BayPiggies monthly meetings and get a new set of active organizers. There
has been an informal discussion happening on a private email thread to line
up the next set of meetings and match responsibilities to volunteers.
Currently, there are 9 participants in the thread.

>>> This approach is getting a little unwieldy, so we were thinking of
creating a separate mailing list (e.g. baypiggies-organizers at python.org).
This list would be available to anyone and the archives would be public.
The reasons for a separate list are:
>>> The people on the list are self-identifying as active volunteers and
can be pressed into service as needed :-)
>>> Keep some of the detailed organizing traffic (revolving mostly around
the monthly meetings in Mountain View) off the main list
>>> The potential downside would be that it could splinter the group
somewhat or cause people to miss out on calls for volunteers. The
alternative is to have this organizational chatter directly in the main
list.

>>> If you feel strongly for a sub-list, please reply and vote +1. if you
feel strongly against a sub-list, please reply and vote -1. Thank you for
your input!