[Baypiggies] Reminder: BayPiggies monthly meeting this Thursday

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 15:04:10 EDT 2016

Due to the concert at Shoreline next week, we are having our monthly talk
on the 21st, a week earlier than usual. It should be a really great talk!
Thanks,
Jeff

*Hacking Math Class with Python*

*Speaker:* Peter Farrell

*Meetup*

We have a meetup event for this talk at:
http://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/228209028/. We would appreciate it
if you could RSVP, so that we have a good idea of how many are attending.
If you already RSVP'd and wont attend, please update it as well. Thanks!

*Abstract*

Math instruction is stuck in the 19th Century and it's in dire need of
modernization. Computer programming in Python has the potential to make
math class more relevant, meaningful and engaging.

Programming can not only achieve the goals we've always had for math
students - to be able to think computationally and build algebraic and
geometric tools to solve problems - but it can be used to explore math
topics beyond the reach of traditional methods. Using Python, students can
create fractals, cellular automata and 3D models to help them learn math or
science topics. And it looks cool!

Anybody interested in education, math or Python should attend!

*Agenda*

• Algebra and Geometry (15 minutes)

• Calculus (10 minutes)

• Fractals (5 minutes)

• Cellular Automata (5 minutes)

• The Raspberry Pi in Education (5 minutes)

*Speaker Bio*

Peter Farrell was a math and computer science teacher for 13 years and
collected his projects into the book Hacking Math Class: Exploring Math
Through Computer Programming
<https://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Math-Class-Python-Programming/dp/1508656940/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=RBXRVXB5DCNYRT72YCEK>
last
year. At the recent PyCon, Guido bought a copy, saying, "There's a lot of
good stuff in here."