[Baypiggies] Next Month's Talk: Exploring Google APIs with Python

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Fri Jul 22 01:08:40 EDT 2016

http://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/228209050/

ABSTRACT
Ever wanted to integrate Google technologies into the web+mobile apps that
you build? Did you know Google has various open source libraries that help
you do exactly that? Users who may have tried & failed, run into
roadblocks, been confused about using our APIs, or had issues with
authentication are welcome to come and make these non-issues moving
forward. Finally, we'll demo using multiple Google APIs to give you an idea
of what it's all about!

FULL DESCRIPTION
This talk covers everything you need to know in order to use Google APIs
from Python. We'll start with the Google APIs Client Library, which you can
use with *any* of the languages supported, not just Python. We'll discuss
how to install the Client Library for Python, then describe & show the
steps necessary to create new projects & enable Google APIs from the
Developers Console. Next we discuss how to create & access the necessary
credentials. That's just the setup.

The second part of the talk walks you through the necessary boilerplate
code that you need to get started. This code will stay fairly consistent
for your first, second, or 20th app, and whether you using 1, 2, or 20
Google APIs. We'll conclude demonstrating some of these steps, and
time-permitting, walk through some some simple code (in Python) that
accesses Google APIs. Some APIs only require simple API key access while
others require full authorization, so we'll do our best to show examples of
how to do both.
SPEAKER
+WESLEY CHUN, MSCS, is the author of Prentice Hall's bestselling "Core
Python" book series & companion videos (corepython.com), co-author of
"Python Web Development with Django" (withdjango.com), and has written for
Linux Journal, CNET, and InformIT. In addition to being an engineer &
Developer Advocate at Google, he runs CyberWeb (cyberwebconsulting.com), a
consultancy specializing in Python training. Wesley has over 25 years of
programming, teaching, and writing experience, including helping create
Yahoo!Mail using Python almost 2 decades ago. He holds degrees in CS, Math,
and Music from the University of California and loves traveling worldwide
to meet developers, whether at a technical conference, user group meeting,
or on a university campus. Wesley is a Fellow of the Python Software
Foundation and can be reached on Google+ or Twitter (@wescpy).