[Baypiggies] Thoughts on the commercial talks at BayPiggies meetings?

stripes stripes at tigerlair.com
Thu Mar 17 14:40:58 EDT 2016

Hi Jeff,

While I haven't made it to a BayPiggies meeting yet (this whole work
thing), I would not want to go to a commercial API presso. My personal
interest in Python is for home and some lab use, so I have zero interest
in commercial APIs.

That said, are you getting a lot of them? Or is this just a one-off?

Thanks,

-Anne

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:36:32AM -0700, Jeff Fischer wrote:
>    Hi everyone,
>    Â As you may know, I have been helping Glen with hosting the BayPiggies
>    talks this year. In planning the speakers for the rest of the year, we
>    ran into some questions about what kinds of talks people want to see.
>    Â Since Python is part of a larger Open Source ecosystem, most talks
>    focus on how to use various Python-based open source libraries to
>    achieve something useful. For example, Dan's talk last month
>    incorporated NumPy, Pandas, and Scikit-learn. Other talks may be about
>    commercial products built around an Open Source offering (e.g. a past
>    talk on [1]Ansible and an upcoming talk on [2]RockStor).
>    So, what about purely commercial offerings? If you have to pay to use
>    an API, are you still interested? What about APIs to pay-to-use web
>    services (say, the Boto API to Amazon's Web Services)? Should we focus
>    on Open Source or cast our net wider? Where should we draw the line?
>    Does it depend on the specific topic or speaker? Whether the API is
>    available to individuals or just corporations?
>    Personally, I am somewhat conflicted: I think we should welcome all
>    kinds of speakers, but I would not want to see us degenerate into
>    another meetup that is just pitches from Product Managers.
>    Your thoughts on this are much appreciated! I am writing this with a
>    specific situation in mind, but I would like to establish some more
>    general guidelines.
>    Thanks,
>    Jeff
>
> References
>
>    1. https://www.ansible.com/
>    2. http://rockstor.com/

You can fool some of               (\`--/') _ _______ .-r-.
the people some of the time         >.~.\ `` ` `,`,`. ,'_'~`.
but the Internet makes it a bit    (v_," ; `,-\ ; : ; \/,-~) \
more efficent process.              `--'_..),-/ ' ' '_.>-' )`.`.__.')
stripes at tigerlair dot com       ((,((,__..'~~~~~~((,__..'  `-..-'fL