[Baypiggies] Thoughts on the commercial talks at BayPiggies meetings?

K Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu Mar 17 17:21:04 EDT 2016

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, the package appears to be free, the service it accesses
is well known, popular, and, at first glance, the package appears to
come from someone other than the people who are selling the well known
service.

On the other hand, if microsoft offered a free library for interacting
with it's domain, or oracle offered a free python interface to one of
their database platforms... well, first off, I'd want to know why they
were giving it away for free rather than offering it with commercial
support along with the rest of their product line.  But in this case,
I'd expect that a presentation by these folks was more likely to be a
non-technical, sales pitch than anything that would advance my
understanding of the language or our art.

I think I liked the idea of free stuff first, free stuff that access
paid stuff second, and paid stuff a distant third, depending on what can
be scheduled and who's interested in presenting.  I think that might be
a better strategy.

--rich