[Baypiggies] [ADMIN] Sexism alert (was Thoughts on commercial talks)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Mar 19 06:16:22 EDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2016-03-18 17:29 -0700, Aahz wrote:
>>
>> it assumes that women are "ladies" (which a lot of women dislike,
>> particularly in the context of "act like a lady"); and it pushes the
>> stereotype that women should be nice.
>
> I think _both_ men and women should be nice, and act like ladies.
>
> Similarly, I think _neither_ men nor women should provide their bodies
> as weapons of war.
>
> Am I sexist?

The question isn't whether you're sexist -- I'm certainly sexist and
I've worked fairly hard at getting rid of that.  I can't off-hand think
of any society that is sufficiently egalitarian that a significant
portion of the population never picks up sexism/racism/etc, we almost
all have these subconscious attitudes we learn.

The question is whether any particular piece of communication is sexist,
reinforcing those attitudes.  My perception is that for most people (and
certainly my own experience bears it out) learning new ways to
communicate and new ways of thinking about communication is much easier
than fixing our internal biases.

A lot of people think that being "PC" is just about making people feel
good -- and to some extent they're right!  But my POV is that being an
adult is largely about simply behaving like an adult regardless of what
one actually feels.  ;-)  So we learn not to grab things that belong to
other people and we learn to talk in ways that stop reinforcing the
kyriarchy.  That will bring more people into the Python community.

"Perl is the language of choice of net abusers."  --Larry Wall