[Baypiggies] This month's BayPiggies talk is next Thursday: Rockstor, an open source personal cloud server

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Thu May 19 12:47:39 EDT 2016

Hi everyone, I am please to announce the details of this month's talk,
which will be a week from today.

*Thursday May 26, 7:00 pm*

*Topic: Rockstor*

*Speaker:* Suman Chakravartula

Abstract
Rockstor <http://rockstor.com/> is an open source Personal Cloud Server.
>From a technology perspective, it is a web application with RESTful APIs, a
UI, an application hosting framework and more, packaged into a Linux
distribution. Python is the core language in which the backend is written.
It uses Django, DRF, ZMQ, Web sockets and a few other technologies to put
together a robust and extensible file storage platform. The bird's eye view
of Rockstor is that it's one of many NAS (Network Attached Storage)
solutions in the market, but on closer examination, users appreciate cool
features based on BTRFS, Docker and Linux in general that are implemented
using Python and Javascript.

In the talk, I'll go over various components and how they are put together,
how our open source community came together and continues to thrive and
grow. I'll also go over how we use Python in our release management to help
us release frequently and continue to develop at a good clip, with a lean
team. If time permits, I'll share the details of my ongoing experience of
starting an open source project and being a maintainer and community
developer.

Speaker Bio
Suman is a Software Engineer, FOSS advocate and a Linux head. He has
developed predominantly in Python over the years from webservices to fun
little tools. He received a Bachelors degree from Eastern Michigan
University and a Masters degree from Standford University, both in Computer
Science. His academic focus was in AI, while in the industry he worked on
projects predominantly in the Cloud Services domain. He started the
Rockstor open source project in 2013 to create a solid Linux based FOSS
storage platform for advanced home users and businesses. In three years,
the Rockstor community has grown to attract thousands of active users all
over the world with 16 code contributors and counting.

Meetup available to register
BayPiggies has a group on meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/.
Please RSVP at: http://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/228208966.
The more people that RSVP, the more newcomers will be interested in
attending (no one likes being the first one at a party). Thanks! We've
removed any attendance limits, so there should be no problem with signing
up.

Meeting Schedule:

   - *7:00 pm* Networking (note we are starting 30 minutes earlier than the
   April meeting)
   - 7:15 pm Announcements and presentation
   - 8:45 pm Random access
   - 9:00 pm Event ends

Location:                 LinkedIn

2025 Stierlin Ct., Mountain View, CA (map
<https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2025+Stierlin+Ct.%2C+Mountain+View%2C+CA%2C+us>).
This is Building 3. The entrance is on the side facing Building 2.
Meeting Room:       Unite (On the second floor)