[Baypiggies] What's the "Pythonic" way to access class attributes?

Braun Brelin bbrelin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 05:29:33 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I just wanted to get the list's opinion on something.

Since Python doesn't really have the concept of private and protected
attribute access protections a la Java or C++ (Yes, I know you can use
the __ and _ prefixes to declare something private or protected in
Python, but that really only does name-mangling on the attribute name
rather than explicitly disallow access to the attribute from outside the
class), is it better to still access the attribute directly a la
Foo.bar = 10 or use a setter/getter approach like Foo.setBar(10)?
It seems to me that option one is better, especially if I can use a
descriptor with the attribute.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Braun Brelin