[Baypiggies] Job "trial day"?

David Berthelot david.berthelot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 22:05:37 EDT 2016

>From my point of view, the most important aspect is to find out if you
really want to work at a place, it's always hard without knowing the
people, so working with them for a day can give you more confidence in your
choice.

I haven't been to such an interview but I'd welcome the experience if I
were looking for a position in an early startup.

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 6:50 PM, Mahmoud Hashemi <mahmoud at hatnote.com>
wrote:

> I've worked with a couple groups that did things this way. Never heard of
> it being paid, but I've always been a fan.
>
> Normal interviews are all so focused on whether you are good enough with a
> really weird power dynamic. A whole day with the team members and the code
> gives you a great opportunity to decide if the environment and technology
> is up to your own standards.
>
> Not sure if this company has the same idea in mind, but I'd like to think
> candidates find the longer time more amenable to relaxing and doing your
> own interview process. Either way, I hope it works out for you!
>
> Mahmoud
> https://github.com/mahmoud
> http://sedimental.org
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Alex McFerron <
> pythonistaforhire at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Usually it's just hang out and interview some, collaborate some, lunch,
>> and interview more but work on actual stuff with the team.
>>
>> I wouldn't sweat it.
>>
>> Sometimes they want you to work and then present your stuff to others at
>> the end.
>>
>> Ugggg what we have to do to get jobs now days!
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Oct 21, 2016, at 5:19 PM, Shannon -jj Behrens <jjinux at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I've done interviews where you pair program for 2-3 hours. I've done this
>> twice, but neither one led to an offer. It was unpaid. However, one of them
>> resulted in a couple life long acquaintances (including the guy who wrote
>> the library, Jasmine), which was a bonus.
>>
>> For 8 hours, I doubt they'd pay you--it'd require too much paperwork. I
>> wouldn't feel too bad about working for free for 8 hours, but I'd refuse if
>> they wanted 2-3 days.
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 2:55 PM Anna Ravenscroft <annaraven at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So, this company I interviewed with wants to set up an 8 hour "trial
>>> day". Has anyone had one of these? What's your experience? And are they
>>> usually paid or unpaid? They haven't mentioned either way yet and I'm
>>> curious to get some your input before I go further with it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance. Feel free to email me offlist.
>>>
>>> --
>>> cordially,
>>> Anna