[Baypiggies] Job Trial day

Samantha Zeitlin samanthazeitlin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:56:38 EDT 2016

Hi Anna,

I did a couple of interviews like this. None resulted in an offer, but
maybe that's just me - I tend to do better with take-homes, and actually
prefer the ones that are 2-3 days because it gives me time to sleep on
the problem and revisit/revise.

The nice thing about a trial day is that it gives you an idea of what
the work environment is like - do people look you in the eye? Are they
friendly? Is it noisy? etc. Sometimes when you just visit for a formal
interview, they keep you in conference rooms all day, and you don't even
see where you'd be sitting if you joined. A great example - I
interviewed at a food science company, and had not considered that
because it's an open office, adjacent to the food labs, in addition to
lots of noise, there are smells wafting through the space all day!

I agree that it feels like it should be remunerated, especially in the
case where they don't hire you. Even an honorarium would be nice - I try
to view it as, they're usually feeding me lunch, and I usually learn
something. I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it would be useful or I
wasn't really interested in the job.

Good luck with your interviews!

Sam

Today's Topics:

    1.  Job "trial day"? (Anna Ravenscroft)
    2. Re:  Job "trial day"? (Shannon -jj Behrens)
    3. Re:  Job "trial day"? (Alex McFerron)
    4. Re:  Job "trial day"? (Mahmoud Hashemi)

Message: 1