[Baypiggies] Call to all ASL interpreters | BAyPIGgies needs you

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Apr 28 11:02:44 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 09, 2017, Glen Jarvis wrote:

> We have someone who wants to attend our Bay Area Python Interest
> (BAyPIGgies) group but is deaf. In his words:
>     "...being a deaf person and not being able to listen (I
>     only know American Sign Language) has been a huge barrier for me."
>
> I *strongly* believe in the diversity of our community. I want to be
> inclusive to anyone who genuinely has a desire to learn Python and join our
> community.
>
> I want to help. But, I can't do this one by myself. Can I get help/guidance
> on how to make this happen?  Are there any ASL interpreters on this list by
> any chance?  :)  :)

Might ask this person whether CART would help.  (I can't help with that,
either, but that would expand the range of options.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communication_access_real-time_translation

One advantage of CART is that it benefits more people, such as those with
hearing impairments or whose understanding of written English is better
than oral English, so it's often easier to get resources for CART,
especially with the remote CART option.

OTOH, CART is considered a distinctly inferior solution by many deaf
people.

(I personally get little benefit from CART, but it seems to be the more
common available option at science fiction conventions.)

"...if I were on life-support, I'd rather have it run by a Gameboy than a
Windows box."  --Cliff Wells, comp.lang.python, 3/13/2002