[Baypiggies] Announcing Diversity Night in October / Call for speakers

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Wed Aug 9 22:22:43 EDT 2017

I believe a diverse Python community makes us all stronger. To deeply encourage real diversity in our community, I wish to organize a diversity night for our October Beginner's night.

I am calling out for a diverse panel of speakers. This is a beginner's night, so please make the talks accessible for beginners. I'd like the speakers to be women and representatives from minority groups.

I am looking for many smaller talks (15-30 minutes) instead of longer talks.

Suggestions / Ideas:

* Setting up Python for the first time (How to use virtualenv / pyenv) [aka Why using sudo is bad]
* 10 tips and tricks to getting started in Python
* Why we are all stronger because of a diverse community
* Career challenges I have found as a [woman / minority]
* Let me share what my organization is doing to help young men and women of color
* Projects and examples from our diverse community

Or many other ideas. This is in the proposal stages and I'm flexible on talks and format. However, the purpose is to promote diversity through positive examples of diversity. I ask you to be a role-model and help us support a diverse community.

We as a community need you to step up. If you hadn't spoken in front of an audience before, don't worry -- we can personally help you prepare for the talk. It's a friendly audience -- we are all friends here and want to encourage each other.

Please reach out to me (glen at glenjarvis.com) -- even if you aren't sure you want to speak yet.

Kindest Regards,

Glen Jarvis
--