[Baypiggies] This month's meeting: Infrastructure Night

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 12:21:22 EST 2018

*BayPiggies Infrastructure Night*
*When:* Thursday, February 22, 2018, 7 pm to 9 pm
*Where:* LinkedIn Corporation, Unify Meeting Room, 950 West Maude Ave,
Sunnyale, CA <https://goo.gl/maps/pFzNFBkgJX42>

For February, we will have two exciting talks on web application
infrastructure. We hope to see you there!

*1. The Colony Process Supervisor*
*Speaker:* Moshe Zadka

NColony is a process supervisor. I will detail the design choices made it
NColony, and how they differ from other process supervisors:  how to run
processes, what frameworks to choose, and how to support configuration --
and dynamic reconfiguration. Then I will show how to use NColony in several
common cases, including several strategies of integrating it into a Docker
container build -- and the trade-offs between them.

*Speaker Bio: *Moshe has been part of the open source community since 1995,
when he first helped people install Linux,  part of the Python community
since 1998, when he first argued with Guido about Python and a core
contributor to Twisted since its inception in 2001 -- when a comment about
how to implement protocols and transport got him roped into maintaining the
Protocol class for a few years. He has been speaking at conferences since
2002 -- the International Python Conference, EuroPython, PyCon, PyBay and
PyTexas, as well as multiple meetups.

*2. Designing fast and scalable Python MicroServices with django*
*Speaker:* Dinesh Joshi

Django, combined with the django REST framework, makes it very easy to
build RESTful MicroServices. However, django is perceived to have some
overhead making it hard to build fast and scalable MicroServices. This talk
shows you how to squeeze the last bit of performance from django. We will
focus on django’s key architectural components and the right way to use
them. Using profiling, we will identify bottlenecks and fix them enabling
you to build scalable RESTful services that play to django’s strengths. At
the end of the talk you will have a good handle on building scalable
MicroServices with django.

*Speaker Bio:* Dinesh A. Joshi has been a professional Software Engineer
for over a decade building highly scalable realtime Web Services and
Streaming Data Processing Architectures serving over 1 billion devices. He
started his career with Python & C++. He has used Python for over a decade
for professional as well as personal side projects. Dinesh has a Masters
degree in Computer Science from Georgia Tech, Atlanta.