[Baypiggies] This month's meeting: Beginners' Night

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 20:43:59 EST 2018

*BayPiggies Beginners' Night*
*When:* Thursday January 25 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
*Where:* LinkedIn Corporation, Unify Meeting Room, 950 West Maude Ave,
Sunnyale, CA <https://goo.gl/maps/pFzNFBkgJX42>

This will be a night of talks aimed at beginners to Python. Speakers:

   - Ronald Lopez - Introduction to Pandas
   - Marilenis Olivera Lee - 10 tips and tricks to getting started in Python

If you are relatively new to Python, this is a great chance to build up
your skills in 2018!

Note that, since the holidays are over, we are back to the 4th Thursday of
the month. The meeting is a week from this Thursday.

*Talk Details*

*1. Introduction to Pandas*
One of the most frequently asked and difficult questions to answer in
higher education is: Where do our students go after? Luckily the National
Student Clearinghouse provides a transactional enrollment file. I will go
over how to use built-in Pandas functions to clean and reduce the file to
make it workable. A repository containing sample code for the talk is
available at
https://github.com/Rlopezra/NSC-Student-Tracker-Reduction-Script.

*About Ronald:*
Ronald is a Senior Research Analyst for the San Jose-Evergreen Community
College District. He graduated from University of California, Irvine with a
Bachelor’s in Anthropology and Economics and a Master’s in Demography.
Outside of work, he pursues topics of interests and hobbies such as Python
programming, inferential statistics, and Salsa dancing. This fall, he will
begin coursework towards his second master’s degree in statistics.

*2. 10 tips and tricks to getting started in Python*
In this talk I will cover some of the aspects of Python that have made it a
popular language for teaching beginners. I’ll also discuss a few things
that are confusing for beginners and can make them scream out of
frustration. If you have been thinking about learning Python, now is the
time. I promise it will be fun!

*About Marilenis:*
A Computer Science Engineer turned Technical Instructor who wants to change
the world one student at a time. Has trained a considerable amount of
aspiring software engineers as well as experienced industry leaders who are
currently unemployed. Loves mentoring people and talking at meetups.