[Baypiggies] This month's BayPiggies meeting

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Fri May 11 13:01:01 EDT 2018

Enjoying PyCon? Didn't get to go? Either way, you can never get too many
excellent Python talks! We'll have two exciting talks right here in
Sunnyvale in just a few weeks. This month's BayPiggies talks will be about
Apache Beam (by María García Herrero) and Quantum Computing (by Ravi
Chityala). Come join us!

*Thursday May 24, 2018*
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
LinkedIn, Unify Meeting Room
950 W. Maude Ave, Sunnyvale <https://goo.gl/maps/AeHyy41TCqj>

Please RSVP on meetup: https://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/247419719/
Apache Beam

Speaker: María García Herrero

Apache Beam is an open source, unified model for defining both batch and
streaming data-parallel processing pipelines. First Java, then Python, now
also SQL — all SDKs to define a workflow that can be executed in a variety
of distributed processing back-ends (a.k.a. runners). Come learn the basics
of the language, model, and project.

Speaker Bio María García Herrero is a software engineer that has a fierce
enthusiasm for technology, learning, and innovation. Working at Google, she
specializes in Apache Beam and, in particular, the Python SDK. She
describes her job as being able to, "See an idea grow into an actual tool
that solves real-life problems." María is active in the local tech
community, including Women Who Code Silicon Valley
<https://www.womenwhocode.com/sv>. She gave an inspiring talk about her
career and life experiences at the BayPiggies October 2017 meeting.
Python for the quantum computing age

Speaker: Ravi Chityala

Quantum computers are slowly turning in to reality more than 30 years after
they were first theorized. The need for quantum computers have become clear
as we reach the limits of Moore’s law and yet we need more computational
power. We are at a very early stage of quantum computing. Yet Python is
slowly becoming a defacto language for programming quantum computers.

In this talk, we will discuss the difference a traditional computer and a
quantum computer. We will learn about the two architectures namely Quantum
annealing and Quantum gate. Finally, we will learn to program quantum
computers using Python.

Speaker Bio Dr. Ravi Chityala is a Senior Engineer at Elekta Inc. He has
more than 12 years of experience in image processing and scientific
computing. He is also a part time instructor at the University of
California Santa Cruz, Silicon Valley Extension, Santa Clara, CA, where he
teaches advanced Python to programmers. He uses Python for web development,
scientific prototyping and computing and as a glue to automate process.