[Baypiggies] This month: Two lightning talks and Designing A/B tests using numerical simulations

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:08:55 EST 2019

*BayPiggies February Meeting*
*Thursday February 28, 2019*
7 pm to 9 pm
LinkedIn, Unify Meeting Room, 950 West Maude Ave, Sunnyvale, CA
<https://goo.gl/maps/tmvzvWGqAfD2>

For February, we will have two lightning talks followed by a main talk.

Lightning talks:
1. *C++-style classes in Python with slots* by Gabor Meszaros
2. *How to impress your Valentine using Python* by Brian Quinlan

*Main Talk: Designing A/B tests using numerical simulations in Python and
pandas *by Aaron Wiegel

*RSVP*
Please RSVP at our meetup page:
https://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/258308350/

*Details*
*Designing A/B tests using numerical simulations in Python and pandas*
*Abstract:* Regardless of the application, calculating a particular
statistic and associated p-value is not necessarily the biggest challenge
in designing an A/B test or experiment, especially given the availability
of open source software packages such as scipy and statsmodels in Python.
Instead, ensuring that the assumptions required for a statistical test are
actually satisfied by the data is far more challenging. Thankfully, with an
existing data source, the sample method for a dataframe in pandas can be
used to create simple numerical simulations to test these assumptions with
real data. Using such numerical simulations, I discuss the fundamental
concepts of sampling, statistical power, and experimental design in the
context of my work as a data scientist at Synthego, a biotech manufacturing
startup.

*Biography: *Aaron Wiegel is a data scientist at Synthego, a biotech
manufacturing startup. He obtained his PhD in physical chemistry from UC
Berkeley where he first learned Python to create simulations of collisions
between atoms and molecules using numpy and scipy. He now uses numerical
simulations as a data scientist to help design experiments for an automated
chemistry and biology laboratory. In addition to his professional work,
Aaron also volunteers teaching community college math, statistics, and
science courses to California state prison inmates. For fun, he brews his
own beer at home, where he performs much tastier experiments than the lab.