[Baypiggies] Requesting Inputs : Anonymous Survey for Developer Tools

Stephen McInerney spmcinerney at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 21:59:26 EDT 2021

  *   I thought we have a real-names policy or no-throwaway aliases on the list. If not, we probably should.
  *   No stated affiliation: Survey doesn't say which person in which company/startup/university/org is doing this, for what purpose.
  *   This comes across like yet another request from someone to give them free market research for commercial product development.
     *   There's nothing Python specific, feels like it was crossposted to other communities, and when it asks ultra-generic questions like "Would you like to know where your "functions" are in your code?" I wonder what on earth applicability this would have to Python. AFAIK any decent Python programmer would know where all the functions in their code were, all the time, even third-party package calls. If not, 'grep -R -w def <paths>'​ is trivial to do on source. So what's being asked about? Navigating function definitions in big packages? Crossprobing a deep class hierarchy? Any decent IDE like PyCharm does this already, free. Even Eclipse does to some extent.
     *   If this is proposing to develop yet another language-agnostic tool, I can't see much value.
     *   Question like "Do you like to have a tool that helps synchronize code and documentation simultaneously and also be able to write a story without modifying the code?", is this asking about sphinx, pydoc, doxygen? Literate programming (/BDD) like lettuce<https://pypi.org/project/lettuce/>? Where would the user-story be stored? in-file in comments? or some separate markup file (open-source format? proprietary format?) Which tool would enforce the correspondence between user-story, documentation and code? How/would that all span if you use multiple languages on the same project, e.g. Python+JS+templating, or LAMP stack? Is this aimed at frontend, fullstack, mobile, data science...? They'd all be different flows.
  *   Ok so it doesn't collect any personal details, but there's no privacy policy. It doesn't offer to share back the results _in aggregate_ to people who participated, or give them any rollup/ feature-list/ preview of any resulting product or beta, in what rough date-range.

If it's allowed to post that sort of survey request, I recommend the poster repost it under their own name, stating their affiliation and what they intend to do with the data, and to what extend would this be Pythonic or generic, i.e. help us understand why it's in our interests to respond.

Regards,
Stephen