[Baypiggies] Help with creating Python-based Mac Application

irv furrypants.com irv at furrypants.com
Fri Aug 5 13:43:51 EDT 2022

Hi,

I have been developing a large Python-based game using the pygame package.  The development of the game is going well - it's almost ready to show.

I am at the point where I am trying to turn this into a single file application.  I've worked through all the documentation using PyInstaller to do this.  The good news is that I can now build a Windows application.

But I've found that building a Mac application is quite a bit more complicated.  I can build the Mac application and it runs fine ... on my computer.  But it won't run on any other Mac.  This is because of a relatively new safety feature of the Mac called GateKeeper.  In order to run on other Macs now, applications need to be "signed" by the developer.

So I've paid my $99 to become an official Apple developer.  But I am lost trying to read through all the documentation from both Apple and PyInstaller (using ".spec" files) about how to use the Apple Developer ID and "certificates".  Apple's documentation is all about how to use Xcode - which I'm not using.  It's completely unclear to me what steps I have to do to sign my application.

I'm asking if anyone here has gone through the process of turning a Python program into a Mac executable and wouldn't mind spending some time with me (via Zoom) to help me get this done.

If you are interested in helping, please contact me off list at:  Irv at furrypants.com<mailto:Irv at furrypants.com>

Thanks in advance,

Irv