[Baypiggies] This week's BayPiggies: GraphQL -- The Devil's API

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 20:27:26 EDT 2022

*Thursday March 24 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm*

This month, we'll have a talk from Ryan Kuhl, who will be speaking at PyCon
next month.

We still have a slot for another PyCon practice talk or lightning talk.
Reach out to us, if you are interested.
Main Talk: GraphQL -- The Devil's API

While there are advantages to using GraphQL vs. traditional REST APIs such
as descriptive queries, there are also a plethora of potential pitfalls,
such as the n+1 query problem and idiosyncratic fickleness. We leverage
data-loaders, async/await, dynamic query generation, and other performance
optimizations in GraphQL to create a flexible, performant interface for our
front-end services. Let’s do GraphQL the right way!

Speaker Bio: Ryan Kuhl

Ryan is a senior backend engineer at Tatari and leader of the Miami-based
science and technology meetup Homebrew Learning Club. Ryan has used GraphQL
to build performant APIs to power a wide range of systems at many layers in
the python application stack.
Code of Conduct

https://baypiggies.net/pages/code_of_conduct.html

Interactions online have less nuance than in-person interactions. Please be
Open, Considerate and Respectful. Also, please refrain from discussing
topics unrelated to the Python community or the technical content of the
meeting.
RSVP

We will conduct the meeting via Zoom. Please register in advance. To do so,
go to the Meetup page for this event:
https://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/284380167/. If you RSVP "Yes" to
this event on MeetUp, the link to the Zoom meeting will be displayed. If
you do not have a MeetUp account, reach out to me, and I can get you the
link.