[Baypiggies] This Thursday's meeting: Building Infrastructure with Python-based Tools

Jeff Fischer jeffrey.fischer at gmail.com
Tue May 24 10:34:37 EDT 2022

Thursday May 26, 2022   7:00 pm to 8:30 pm PDT
This month, we'll have a lightning talk from Jai Purandare about Django
Rest Framework and a full talk from Glen Jarvis about Infrastructure as
Code. Come join us! https://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/284835522/

*Lightning Talk: Django Rest Framework for Beginners by Jai Purandare*
DRF is library on top of Django. Basic components of DRF. Build a simple
REST API with DRF. https://www.django-rest-framework.org/

*Bio: Jai Purandare*
I am Application Developer with 6 years experience. Currently, I am
volunteering for WomenWhoCode-SV to build web-app for the chapter. We are
using Python + Django + DRF + Postgresql to build APIs.

*Main Talk: Building Infrastructure with Python Based Tools*
The Infrastructure as Code (IaC) landscape changes regularly (As does
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), etc.). With such a rapidly changing
landscape, where do we focus our time to be effective without always
chasing the "shiny"?

It's easy to go glom onto a new tool and think it is the "silver bullet"
that will solve all of our problems with building infrastructure from
scratch. But, like many difficult problems we need to go deeper to
understand the best tools for the situation.

Glen will start with a customer problem that he encountered; show how the
"Silver Bullet" (this time Pulumi) didn't work and why. And, then, we will
look at how to best solve Infrastructure As Code (IaC) with Python code
bases. We will need to dig into problems such as: Should IaC be Declarative
or Imperative, and Why? Should we avoid Vendor Lock-in? etc.

As we follow this journey, we will discuss:
* What is programmable infrastructure (e.g., Amazon Web Service EC2)
* What infrastructure choices are there (e.g., Containers vs VMs)
* What are the different ways to represent this as Code (e.g., boto Library)
* Are there declarative ways to specify infrastructure (e.g., YAML)
* Should the entire model be turned on its ear (e.g., Containers and pip
tools)

The goal is to arrive at a re-usable pattern that can be used in many
situations and projects.

*Bio: Glen Jarvis*
Glen has been a DevOps / SRE / Infrastructure engineer for over 8 years and
held titles such as DevOps Manager.

He has worked in companies such as IBM, Pandora and SiriusXM as well as
helping to build several startups in the Bay Area that are still running
today.
RSVP

We will conduct the meeting via Zoom. Please register in advance. To do so,
go to the Meetup page for this event:
https://www.meetup.com/BAyPIGgies/events/284835522/. If you RSVP "Yes" to
this event on MeetUp, the link to the Zoom meeting will be displayed.

*Code of Conduct*

https://baypiggies.net/pages/code_of_conduct.html

Interactions online have less nuance than in-person interactions. Please be
Open, Considerate and Respectful. Also, please refrain from discussing
topics unrelated to the Python community or the technical content of the
meeting.