[Baypiggies] Whither `python` OR `python2` and `python3`?

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:43:15 EDT 2022

Hey folks, hope you're doing well, and nice to see some of you at PyBay a
few weeks ago.

I recently discovered that Ubuntu removed `/usr/bin/python`
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes#Python3_by_default>, which
took me a bit by surprise. I build both Python 2 and 3 containers for
different apps, etc., and `python main.py` as an entrypoint had been pretty
reliable because whatever version I installed in any container as `python`
also pointed to the right place.

Now all that has broken, and I have to be explicit because as we all know
from Zen #2, "Explicit is better than implicit." But is it really though in
this case? Was this a necessary breaking change? I'm pretty sure I disagree
with it for now... change my mind? Curious what others think. Here's a related
thread <https://askubuntu.com/questions/1296790>.

Cheers,
--Wesley
"A computer never does what you want... only what you tell it."
    wesley chun :: @wescpy <http://twitter.com/wescpy> :: Software
Architect & Engineer
    Developer Advocate at Google
<https://cloud.google.com/developers/advocates/wesley-chun/> by day; at