[Borgbackup] compatible versions: local borg vs. remote borg?

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu
Mon Jul 11 03:59:17 EDT 2016

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any documentation about version incompatilities when
using remote repositories (i.e. borg is also installed on the remote machine)?

For example the server might still have borg 1.0.3 but my client uses 1.0.5
(or the other way round). I hope that mismatch should not cause any trouble.
May I assume that any (known) incompatibilities will be mentioned on the
changes page (prominently)?

Also is there any code in borg to detect version incompatibilities? My hope
would be that worst case the backup would stop running (instead of silent repo
corruption).

Felix