[Borgbackup] borg info very long

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Jun 23 18:31:06 EDT 2017

> previous night a created an archive with a big file ( > 100GB )

You mean that a single file in your backup data source set (input files)
was rather big?

> This morning I want to check the archive
> and run
>
>>borg list /mnt/WSUS.borg

That just lists the manifest (all archive names/timestamps).

> borg response in few seconds with
> Using a pure-python msgpack! This will result in lower performance.

^ This means what it says. If you install borg from source, this often
means a missing C++ compiler.

The python version of msgpack is slower than the compiled C version of
msgpack.

> and then I tried to show info about archive WSUS-22 with
>
> borg info /mnt/WSUS.borg::WSUS-22
> but after 3 hours I had no response so I interrupted the command

That's strange. Not sure it could be caused by just the msgpack issue or
if there was something else going wrong. Are your disks ok?

> then I tried
> borg check /mnt/WSUS.borg
> and it completed check ( 100% ) after about 50 mins
> and then the command continue to run without get
> info so after another 1hour I killed it

borg check first does a repository (low level) check and then it checks
all archives in the repository (higher level).

> I think isn't normal a so long delay to get results
> for "borg info! command and perhaps it can depend on
> my configuration
>
> What can I check ?

Check what's up with your msgpack. Make sure you don't get that warning
by having a correctly compiled msgpack.

Our docs says what additional packages you need before (re-)installing
msgpack, so it gets compiled.

--

GPG ID: 9F88FB52FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393