[Borgbackup] Warning: “Using a pure-python msgpack! This will result in lower performance.”

Mario Castelán Castro marioxcc.MT at yandex.com
Sun Aug 20 22:17:16 EDT 2017

Hello.

I am using Debian 9. I am trying to run the latest release tag version
of borgbackup from the git repository.

When I run “borg create ...” I get the following message:

“Using a pure-python msgpack! This will result in lower performance.”

I have installed all the packages recommended in
<https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/installation.html#from-source>
for Debian, except sphinx and the fuse-specific packages. In addition, I
installed the packages "python3-dev". "cython3", "python3-pip" and
"python3-setuptools", then did "git clean -xdf" and re-did the procedure
(again, as described in the “Installation“ page).

I am using virtualenv as the documentation recommends. I also have the
“borgbackup” Debian package installer (which is an older version). If I
run Debian's version, it does not display this warning, but if I run it
after having sourced the virtualenv script, then it does display the
warning. Thus the problem appears related to virtualenv.

What can I do to run borg with support for native code within virtualenv
(or at least without having to do a system-wide install)?

Thanks.

--
Do not eat animals, respect them as you respect people.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+(become+OR+eat)+vegan